ELDER CONNOR CARPENTER


Full Time Missionary for the
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Mission: PORTO ALEGRE NORTH / Country: BRAZIL
Language: PORTUGUESE
Called on: APRIL 17, 2009
Departed on: AUGUST 25, 2009
Estimated Return Date: AUGUST 18, 2011

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

July 20, 2010 - Letter Home

"Ups! and downs."

 Hey Family!
I gotta be quick this week because going to the temple yesterday killed our P-day (but in a good way!) and because the rules say I am OBLIGATED to communicate with my family every week, I am taking time to write you guys.



This week flew by fast also and I have few new things to tell. Unfortunately, we had some let downs here as Andressa and her family suddenly moved. It’s really sad because Andressa received such a strong testimony. Hopefully she will be able to keep her testimony until she can find missionaries wherever she is now. Also somewhat depressing is an investigator, Gabrielle, who was super enthusiastic to learn more, but the other day refused to even let us in their house. We don’t know what happened but we hope to discover what it is that happened.
But we have our victories. We had thought that our third awesome investigator with a baptism date, Gustavo, had fallen through when his mom refused us at her door and said Gustavo didn’t want to meet with us, but the next Sunday there was Gustavo, walking in the rain with a Book of Mormon in his hands to go to church! He even went with us to a fireside that night! He is a person that truly is trying to change his life and find the truth. So cool! It’s for moments like these that the mission is worth it.


Yesterday I got to visit the Porto Alegre temple for the first time! 



It is beautiful. We will visit that temple as a family later in my life, I know it. 
It sits on a hill that overlooks Porto Alegre, and we came out of the session to a sunset over the cityscape! 
"temple parking lot at sunset"


Awesome! Elder Malheiros and I arrived late to the session, so we were hurrying and when we finally arrived to start the session there I saw Elder A. Lima, Elder Castellanos, Elder Bastos, Elder Lima, and Elder M. Oliveira, some of my very good friends that I hadn’t seen for so long, some since the CTM! 
 "Elder Lima and I at the temple"


It was a great reunion and we got to hang out a bit afterwards. I love the other missionaries here. I will be psyched to do big mission reunions later on.

Getting closer to the 11 month mark! Woah! Oh, other thing, I bought a Book of Mormon in Italian (only one copy in the temple, hardback, and for less than 80 cents! I had to snag it!) And a good member friend we hang out with here, Vincent, speaks Italian, so I’m gonna try my hand at it in my free time! Muolta Buona!
 

How cool it was to get e-mails from everyone this week! Very much cool stuff. I love the news from Dad, and though it must be tiring to keep running to and fro to keep things running, it’s cool that things are running! Dad, you are my idol for just making it work no matter what. Thank you also for the testimony. I’m praying for success for all you guys up there!

The news that Lynsey is all moved in and moving around in L.A. is crazy! I remember Lyns talking about it forever but it’s another thing to see it actually happening! Man, that must be such a cool experience. Parabens Lyns for stepping out into the wide world for the first time (temporarily)! It’s not every girl that is able or willing to take such opportunities. Just another testament of what I already know, that my Lyns is a one-of-a-kind sis. I love you Lyns! Stay safe and be smart out there!



Wow Mom! (-- You can read that upside down with the same meaning!) 
I also liked the idea of helping Kaitlin make Japanese crafts! Do that Mom and send me pictures! I would love to do that myself with Kait so I’ve gotta live through you doing that for here!
Kaitlin is getting so smart and I am so proud of her for reading so many books! Congrats Kaitlin! Every book you read just makes you smarter, that’s how I got smart because I just read read read all the time! :P I love you my Kaitlin!


Liked getting news from Brendon!


Hmmm, nothing else of note happened this week, and I am running out of time, so I’ll end it here! I love you all, and I hope that you all are well and continue in straight paths. I am so so thankful for each one of you, my family, relatives, friends, and each one of you are a special blessing that Heavenly Father has placed in my life.

Love love love, until next week,
Older Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment