"The Searcher"
"Procurando Por Almas" - (Seeking for Souls)
Hey Everyone!
Man, I really needed you guys this week. It was a bit hard. But you guys came through and my inbox was full and I even got some photos and man! I’m feeling good now! Thanks Dad, Mom, Lyns and Gram. Kaitlin too for being in the photos.
So listen, my bright idea this week was try to relate all of the information I had about the last week to you all via video! Sounds really awesome on paper right? I planned out what I wanted to say, and started the camera and went with it. Hmmm. I don’t think it turned out all that great. Definitely probably a lot like how Dad felt when he plugged in the camera and just started talking expecting to be perfect. It should be completely natural, shouldn’t it? Just like talking to you guys in person, I imagine. Unfortunately, I think the camera has the opposite effect for first-timers. I feel like I look slightly embarrassed and kind of befuddled in the video, but I hope you guys like it. I had the idea after Lyns said she wanted to hear my voice.
Hey it finished! I really don’t like this video, maybe it’s a little boring. Next time I’ll lighten up and make some jokes or something. I was a bit nervous to talk in front of the camera with everybody else in the lanhouse listening, so please bear with me as you watch. Here is the address: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaOo6TWf3To
Anyway, what is cool is that I recorded about 5 minutes of video, and YouTube uploads videos fairly quickly. I think I could go longer. I want to practice doing this, and eventually, maybe transmit everything via video. For now, though, I am going to go slow and practice. Eventually it’ll be just like I’m in the next room.
I kind of forgot about last week, exactly what happened. Here’s a couple of interesting things though: a member’s non-member husband, Geovene, offered us a ride home one night. We accepted. When we got in the car, started driving, and starting making a bit of small talk, we discovered he was pretty drunk. He even stopped driving for a minute to look down and grab a bottle of beer and start drinking more? We asked him not to drink, so he laughed, took a big swig and threw the bottle out the window of the car!!! And the car didn’t have seat belts! Holy smokes! I was so freaking scared, holding on to the sides of the seats, but luckily we got home safely. Luckily it was night and there weren’t many cars on the streets, but he did swerve a little a couple of times. Next time I’ll converse a bit before accepting a ride from a someone I don’t know!
Another experience was teaching a family, with a dad who didn’t have any eyes. Yep. I’ve never seen that before. Blind? Sure. At least they have eyeballs. But unfortunately this man had to have his eyes actually removed, I really don’t know why, I think it was because of cancer. So I tried to talk natural and teach as normal, but I really couldn’t help staring. It’s interesting: blinking is a habit we have, that I think we do automatically like breathing. Even with no eyes, he still had to blink. Can’t really get that image out of my head. Nice little story huh? Interesting what you see on the mission.
I’m doing really good. I think I’m pretty much totally used to being a missionary, and I’m happy. Elder Lima has been a good companion, although it’s been difficult. He’s never been a senior companion before so we’re kind of figuring it out together. But it’s been fun. I’m learning a lot faster with a companion who doesn’t speak English. I hadn’t spoken English for 2 weeks straight until today when we met up with some other American missionaries. Seriously weird.
So tonight you guys are going to watch Lost. Holy smokes I’m so jealous! Live it up. Man, it’s going to be hard to resist downloading the episode on iTunes and watching it during p-day. I am glad I don’t have the iTouch to tempt me into downloading it and watching it during the night or something. I want to let you know, Brendon, that I’m not watching it. Promise. Only 19 months until we get to watch it, man! Sweet. Anyway, have fun and do something special! Maybe invite Cody and Julie and Chase over to watch with you! I think the Nethercotts watch too, make it a party! Take photos and send them to me!
Dad, I love you so much buddy. I too am so very grateful to be a part of your life. I think I really took it for granted back home, and probably acted a couple of times like I shouldn’t have. Right now I just am so excited for the day when Brendon and I can return, help out with the business, and just go and chill, just us guys. We did that a couple of times (like when we went to Glamis for the last time) and man, I love those memories so much. But I think I’m going to enjoy those times with you much more in the future, for sure, because we’ll know somewhat how valuable it is. I love you Dad. You really are my hero. Work hard, but don’t forget to stop once in a while and realize all the blessings you have around you, and that you’re doing your best and the the Lord is going to take care of you and the fam. I know he will. Love you buddy.
Hey Mom! So cool about your study experience. Loved it. I’m going to study about stars tomorrow, I think. :) I’m so happy you’re continuing to be strong and do the right things. I’m so happy to have you as a mom. Elder Lima doesn’t have one, and as we’ve talked about our lives I realized how much of a difference you made in mine. So thankful you’re there to take care of the family. I love you lots.
Winter here is supposed to be pretty harsh, but luckily Elder Losee and Elder Duarte left thermal underwear, sweaters, coats, gloves and hats with me. So actually I think I’m pretty ready! What you could do for me though is send me my black hoodie. The one I always used to wear? I hope it’s not stuffed away where you cant find it. I think it’ll be good because it’s something I can wear on cold P-days and can sleep in comfortably (imagine sleeping in a suitcoat!). I already have my pajama bottoms and I’m waiting to be able to use them :) .
I’m really good. Healthy. Tan. Getting really really buff with this excersize routine every morning. Yep, watch out world.
I love you so much my mom.
Hey Lyns! Hope you liked the video. I made it because of your comment. Life is CRAZY!?!?! How could it be any different for my sweet sis? Man Lyns, the end of junior year was the year I stressed out the most, I think. Senior year was hard, but I’m pretty sure junior year was worse for me. You just got to remember to start early on everything, and get done early, and try to minimize time to have fun. If you do it early you’ll find you will actually have more time to have fun, because you won’t be stressing later, which often causes you to work less effectively, which means you have to work even longer, taking up time with friends. I know it sucks, but you’re gonna get through it sis! You’ve got what it takes. Don’t let up okay? You’ll get used to it.
I liked remembering about us playing at the stream and all of our other memories. Man. Awesome times. Those times were great, but we have much better ones coming up. I think it just gets better as time goes on. Many many more memories to go.
Hey, you can watch all of the seasons of Lost again if you want, but I want to let you know that we’re probably going to watch them all again anyway when we get back. I’m so jealous that you’re gonna watch the last season tonight. Holy smokes I just want to watch Lost. Gah! Ahem.
Lyns, I love you so much. Stay strong. Thank you so much for the letter and photos!
Kaitlin! I loved seeing you in the photos! You’re getting older! I can notice! Kait I hope school is going good and that your learning lots. How’s the Japanese going? Kaitlin, I have a couple of girls in our ward here your age that are going to write you a letter! In Portuguese! I’ll translate it first though, don’t worry. Cool huh? You can write them back if you want, and I’ll translate for you too. They are very excited to write to you, because they really like America! Kaitlin, I love you so much. Here is a huge bear hug! Can’t wait to see you again.
Hey Gramma Imogene, I love you. Thank you so much for the letter. Hope you next week is good. I’m staying healthy thanks to your vitamins! All the other missionaries are jealous. Can’t wait for your letter! Take care of the family, okay? And stay healthy too.
Okay guys, kind of short today. Enjoy the week! Enjoy Lost you lucky dogs!
As always, love love and more love!
Connor
"Boat Guy"
P.S. Oh yeah, the photos! Didn't know that there were missionaries serving on the high seas? :) (this is a monument in the center of Boqueirao, that commemorates the Portuguese settling the south of Brasil. Cool...)
P.S.S. 1 Point for anyone who can figure out why I chose the words in the subject line. Game on!
Okay Bye!
ELDER CONNOR CARPENTER
Full Time Missionary for the
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Mission: PORTO ALEGRE NORTH / Country: BRAZIL
Language: PORTUGUESE
Called on: APRIL 17, 2009
Departed on: AUGUST 25, 2009
Estimated Return Date: AUGUST 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment