ELDER CONNOR CARPENTER


Full Time Missionary for the
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Mission: PORTO ALEGRE NORTH / Country: BRAZIL
Language: PORTUGUESE
Called on: APRIL 17, 2009
Departed on: AUGUST 25, 2009
Estimated Return Date: AUGUST 18, 2011

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

September 22, 2009 - Letter Home

1:15pm September 22, 2009
Bom Dia!


Hey guys! I'm going to write a quick e-mail because I'm going to write my long e-mail later. I'm doing this because I unexpectedly had the opportunity to write you guys, but I left the outline of what I was going to write about back in my room. Therefore, this will be quick.




I'm feeling like I'm on the top of the world right now. Why? Well let me tell you a story:
Last week, an Elder from another district mentioned that their district were planning on going proselyting on P-day on their free time. I loved the idea, and Elder Feller (my companion) and I decided we would do the same. So we prepared all week in our study time to go an give out one Livro de Mormon (only one because that's all we had). We also prepared the LdM with our testimonies written in the front. So today comes up, and we're way nervous. And it's raining outside. I wanted to call it off, but we decided to do it anyway. So we get ready, say a heartfelt companionship prayer in our room, and head out around Sao Paulo to place this LdM. Whew.
We decided to walk the CTM boundaries to find people that wouldn't regularly see missionaries around. And we were both super nervous.
I talk to my first contact, a lady carrying groceries. I ask if I can help. She promptly rejects me.
For about 45 minutes Elder Feller and I were walking around in the rain, without an umbrella, and every 10 minutes we would nervously talk to someone and try to have a conversation and place this Livro de Mormon. Probably talked to 10 people, some were nice, but some weren't (one guy was saying "Nao! Muito nao!" to us when we started talking to him).
So Elder Feller and a were discouraged, and we stood underneath a tree to say a prayer and regain our confidence (we pretended to look at our planners while we prayed, just like Uncle Kevin said he did). We say the prayer, and then, a moment later, this guy walks by with an umbrella. I want to talk to him, but I'm still too nervous. Then he stops, looks back, and motions for us to walk with him under his umbrella. We talk to him, and make out that he's going to work around here, and when we ask if he goes to church, he says hes an evangelico (evangelical church member). We talk about loving God and Jesus Christ, and about being missionaries, and being new to Brasil... We pull out the Livro de Mormon and start saying what little we can about it. We talk all the way to his work, where he gets two other people to listen to us talk also. We tell him we want him to have it and read it, and he talks about how he doesn't have any money on him, and we tell him its free, and then we point him to 3 Nephi 11, and bookmark the chapter with a passalong card with a phone-number for the church on it. Feller and I give quick testimonies, and ask if he will read it. He said yes! We then wrapped it up before we could mess it up. Wow! It was the best feeling I've ever had! Even on my mini mission, I never was able to get someone to take the Book of Mormon, and teach about it, by myself. Being able to do it in Portuguese was also way sweet. Wow. Man. His name was Joriao (or something like that).

So Elder Feller and I said a prayer of thanks at the next corner, and went and celebrated with abacate (avocado) smoothies. Woo! It was the coolest thing.

Anyway, a longer letter to come! I love you guys! I read your letters all morning! You are in my heart! Love!


--Later--September 22, 2009 2:30pm

Hey mom!

Real quick letter this week, because my companion is (impatiently) waiting for me to finish. All cool though! Also, probably no written letter this week, so sorry. :/ Simply not enough time after proselyting for an hour and a half. :)

Anyway, I'm over the sickness, and I'm feeling great. Can't say so for the rest of my district. Too bad. :(

Todd and Grandma Imogene and Grandad and Grandma Christensen e-mailed me. Sweet sweetness, both of their letters. Totally love them. At the same time, I realize writing letters is hard, so don't worry if you cant get in a lot in a week. Don't worry. I can take it. :)

Mom, I love your insights in Moroni. I'm doing personal study on those scripture tomorrow! I'm already in 3rd Nephi, from the beginning of the Book of Mormon! I love them! They are the best thing here. My entertainment, even. I also love the part about weaknesses: I'm starting to see my weaknesses come to light as I stay here. Every time I think I've fixed all of them, a new batch crops up. Only part of the perfecting process. :) It's going well, also. Anyway, its so cool seeing your insights, and seeing into your head as well! So awesome, Mom.

I love the pictures! Lynsey, you look SO beautiful in that picture. Will is a lucky guy. :) I haven't gotten the photosthrough Missionties, but I printed black and white pictures from your e-mail. Awesome.

Thanks for the news! Kind of cool. I'm also more interested in the economy. Getting worse or better? Still, somewhat glad I don't have to worry about it. Thanks guys.

Mom, I love you so much, and are so thankful for your words. I truly treasure our relationship and our families relationship more than anything out here. Thank you for all the comments.


September 16, 2009 - Companions for a 1/2 day...


Anyway, I'm out of time, so I hope that my story about this morning will prove enough news for this week. I have to realize that I will soon have to give up all the time that I'm getting here in the CTM to write letters. Nevertheless, all is going well, and I love you guys.

Really quickly, I want to let Todd, Grandad and Grandma, and Grandma Imogene know that I got their letters, and I loved reading them. I have responses all written out ready to type, but unfortunately I put off my e-mailing time today in favor of practical needs and a little proselyting. I love you guys and love your letters, and am so thankful for the great family that I have lifting me up even 7000 miles away from Sao Paulo. Love you guys.

Con

No comments:

Post a Comment