ELDER CONNOR CARPENTER


Full Time Missionary for the
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Mission: PORTO ALEGRE NORTH / Country: BRAZIL
Language: PORTUGUESE
Called on: APRIL 17, 2009
Departed on: AUGUST 25, 2009
Estimated Return Date: AUGUST 18, 2011

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

October 27, 2009 - Letter Home



Man , I’m in the mission field! In the place I was meant to be for my whole life! I've read a bit of all of your emails, and am looking forward to reading them today.  Unfortunately, the computer  I was using to write  this e-mail  shut down 15 minutes into writing it,  and I don’t have much time. Also, I think I've done a good job documenting as much of the journey as I can through  photos, but I forgot the right cable at my new house! NOSSA! (AW MAN!) So the next letter will have a bunch of awesome photos, promise!

Very quickly, here's what happened on my first day!:  I left the CTM early in the morning, and separated with  my best friend and companion,  Brendon. It was hard for me. I know Brendon was feeling the same as I. But I walked out the door, and went to the airport, and arrived in Porto Alegre an hour later. Met with the President there,  had an excellent buffet lunch with all the new missionaries, and went to the President's apartment for some short interviews and some informational meetings. I  found out my trainer and mission “dad”  would be Elder Losee, an American whose been here 18 months. Went on the bus with 3 others who were going to my new area: Passo Fundo. It’s the furthest area from Porto Alegre, so the bus ride was 4 hours long! Passo Fundo is a city near Porto Alegre, to the northwest, so you guys should find it on a map! Dad can look up from his desk and see where in the world I am even as he's working! I met up with Elder Losee at night,  and we took a bus to our house.


Elder Connor Carpenter with President and Sister Pavan in Porto Alegre

 
New missionaries for Porto Alegre North!




The Bus ride to Passo Fundo






Elder Losee is awesome. He’s a little shorter, and he’s always wearing a smile and laughs a lot, although otherwise he is somewhat  quiet. The people here  really like him, and hes a good role model. He's fluent and has done a good job teaching me.


Elder Connor and his "trainer",  Elder Losee

I am loving the language now even more than in the CTM, and its fun to learn “gaucho” words and pronunciations that are unique to Rio Grande do Sol (the state of Brasil my mission is in). My area is amazing. It’s a paradise. Mom would love it. Hills, green pastures, blue skys, big puffy clouds, cobblestone streets more places than you'd think (they call it “parallelo-pipido”)… everyone here has horses and its quite funny because you'll see a horse every so often going right along the main roads. So you see a lot of horses grazing here. Honestly, the weather has been amazing, and I love it here.


Typical Passo Fundo

I am serving in the ward Boquerao (means “Big Mouth”), which has some AMAZING members. They greeted me into their ward like a king. After reading Brendon's letter, I feel a little spoiled here. The city  is completely modern other than the cobblestone streets and horses and actually there are some neighborhoods with only dirt roads and shacks. Most people also hang their clothes outside to dry and have chickens and cows and stuff. Oh, and there's stray dogs everywhere. Weird. I'm really liking it though. My house is very nice, although when I arrived it was ridiculously filthy. I met with the rest of my district today and compared stories with the other new elders here, and their stories were the same. If there's one thing bad I've seen here is that the missionaries seem a little too comfortable. We spend a little too much time just hanging out with members  and eating meals and walking long distances, and I feel like some things could be much more effective. Still, there is a lot to learn from the other missionaries, and I'm planning on just grazing around the edges a little while until I know what to do about this. My main goal right now is to become fluent, and do as much good with what we're doing now. Everyone says fluency comes at about 6 months into the mission, but I'm planning on doing it in 2.

I'm sorry if I sounded a little negative just now,  but Mom, you said to include it all. That’s what I'm dealing with now. However, its super awesome. I truly have felt that the adventure has begun, and I sincerely feel I've grown in just these last couple days. In fact, I might say I'm already drastically different. My goal in arriving here was to arrive as the missionary I want to be, and that doesn’t just mean you know the doctrine and the language. I've been working on being super social and making jokes and talking to everyone, and constantly wearing a smile. I love this goal. I still need to find a balance, but I'm absolutely giddy about trying to make people happy, through the gospel, yes, but also through kindness, love, and outgoingness.

I testify that through Jesus Christ, we can find enough joy and happiness so that it flows over, and we can only share that with others. I consider myself very anti-social by nature, but I think that through the light of God I will be able to turn that weakness into a strength. I know this is possible for everyone, and that there is SO MUCH happiness to be found in making others happy. The gospel is not a somber, serious thing. Sometimes we require quiet happiness in reverent places, but the gospel is filled with light and happiness always, and you can feel that wherever or whoever or however you are, in any circumstance, as long as you know where to look. You can know where to look through Christ and his teachings.


"Minha Casa"


"Living Room"



"My bed is on the left"


                             "My clothes are in the Center"

I love you all muuuito, and honestly there's so many details I wish I could share. I love you all so much, and there's no place I'd rather be than here at this time in my life. Read the scriptures and pray always, especially in families, but also by yourself. As you ponder and pray for yourself about these things, you'll find a way that nothing can touch you, save the love of God and the love of others.
Ah! Saudade! Until next week! Até mais!

Connor Carpenter

If you wish to send mail, send it to the following address:

R. Alípio Endres N 200
Bairro:  Edmundo Treim
CEP: 99030-030
Passo Fundo - RS
Brasil

@ Parents: Can you send me pictures of my baptism in an email? It will help me explain baptism to others. Thanks!

@ Dad: You've helped me a lot in my messages to the people here. Your experiences with the scriptures and the result in our family has really helped me relate the power of the Book of Mormon to people. There is a lot of problems in the economy here also, and I often am able to relate about how many people at home are in the same situation, but that through prayer and diligence I know that our family will be taken care of. I really think it has helped people look up from their problems. Thank you very much for all that you’ve done for me. There's so much more than the things I just said.

@ Mom: I love you so much. You are great. You would love it here so much. I'm trying to enjoy it like you would want me to . I can't wait to bring you back here. Wow, mom, I miss you so much. Thank you for all you have done for me throughout my life. You did such a great job and I never even realized how much you did. Thank you so much. You’ve made so much of you I am.

@ Lynsey and Kaitlin: Ahhh! My sisters! I love you so much! Im having such a fun time here! I miss you lots, but I'm also excited for all the cool things we are going to do when we return. So many excellent experiences we will have together. Enjoy every day!

Lyns, what cool things are you doing with your friends now that the lake and river is off  limits? Driving in the fog  now? I love you so much! Be strong and find comfort in the arms of the Lord!

Kaitlin! Halloween is soon! So exciting! I'm playing a lot with Brasilian children and they are sooooo cute! They have sweet little Portuguese jabbering, and laugh so much when I try to say things! They would love you so much here! How is learning languages? Are you enjoying learning and school? Watching any new cool shows or films? Tell Mom to take you to the library! It was so fun looking for books with you. The holidays will be so much fun! What do you want for Christmas? Going to see family soon? Any cute new clothes? Send me pictures! I can open them in my email here, and print them off! Love love love! So happy to have such beautiful princesses waiting at home for me.

@  Brendon: I Love you bro. I miss you very much, but I'm  also loving sharing this adventure with you. It will be so awesome to exchange stories after the mission. As per our agreement, I have a good memory for you. Remember on that super activity where we went to that lake near the Sierras, in the folsom ward? Remember going fishing together in the morning with Brother Dawson? Remember later going on that small boat at top speed going to that one cave? Warm, slow-baking sun, the fresh cool wind in our hair, flecks of cool water hitting your body and your hand when you stuck it out to feel the wake? The quick bobbing of the fast boat. Green everywhere, green mountains too, and also in the distances snowcapped peaks? That cave was really cool too, but the ride there was sweet. And it was also cool that we were together, for that activity and so many others. That made it better. Too bad I think I took that for granted. I love you buddy. That’s when I started to notice that life was an adventure. I forgot how to do it a couple times since, but its one of my most favorite things I've learned to do. And all the best adventures are shared. That’s why its cool we’re both doing the same thing now. We might not be together physically, but we’re in this together. Live it up and live with all the gusto you got! Love you buddy!

@ Todd, Nick, Zach:
Wow! So awesome to have so much to read tonight! I love your family home evenings! I wish I  could respond more, but I promise I will next week. And I will enjoy your  letters so much  today! I love you guys so much! Nick, Zach… man. You guys are going to love the mission. I thought the CTM was pretty fun, but this takes the cake! Practice overcoming your fears and problems and concerns through the power of the gospel. Continue building up your testimonies by looking for and receiving all the blessings and happiness God is waiting to give us. You guys rock! Thanks muchly for information about your lives (and especially information about Halo!). Love love love!
Todd, thank you so much for the stories and advice, I will digest them later and I truly appreciate it. You are truly a mentor. Like Gandalf. Or Obi-Wan. I love you guys muchly! Be strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment